Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Dialing for Dollars

I've recently taken over the checkbook and until now had never really paid attention to how much money we paid each month to watch the Disney channel, Google, and to phone a friend. I am now more aware that the technology and household amenities/utilities I took for granted can really add up.

I was lamenting this fact with my friend and fellow blogger, when she mentioned how she recently called her various providers to ask for a reduction in her monthly fees. She said she used the fact that she has been a loyal customer to talk down her rates. I thought this was a great idea and decided that I, too, would dial for dollars.

So with my speech outlined in my head--I've been a loyal customer for 5 years, I pay the bills on time, I keep seeing promotional packages on TV..., I started making my calls eager to save some coin.

First on my list, DirectTV. I called and gave them my spiel and was able to save $25 per month for the next 6 months. I almost got sucked into signing up for HBO (I do enjoy Big Love) but stuck to my cost cutting guns. My fees went down in part because I dropped the extra service in our guest room. Why was I spending $5 a month to have numerous channels in a room which is rarely used?

I then made the call to Comcast. I decided that I would try and get a package deal for my high-speed cable internet access as well as my phone. Sorry AT&T, if you offered U-verse in my neighborhood, I would have been knocking at your door. And voila, I was able to get both services for $65 a month for the next year. This is a $60 per month savings!

My 30 minutes of trouble ended up saving me $85 per month for my first 6 months and $60 for the next 6 months which comes to the grand total of (drum roll please) $890 for the year! Whoo Hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

C'mon, tell us what you think. It really is painless. If you have trouble posting a comment, email us at blog.tina@yahoo.com and we can post your info for you. We REALLY appreciate your stopping by!